October Mists ... And Back to the Studio

October Mists, Derbyshire 9" x 10" Gouache.

Back in the studio after a summer of spending much time in the outdoors and travelling, I needed to get my hand in again and gouache is more forgiving than watercolour!  I love this time of year when the mornings have a nip in the air and are often misty. And then the low sun breaks through and imparts a soft glow to the landscape, catching the grasses and seed heads with a dreamy light.

This was painted in gouache on Arches (Not), mostly wet in wet. I wanted to create an etherial, dreamy mood so kept most of the edges soft. I drew the dark foreground grasses with my bamboo pen, pulling up some of the wet paint from the bottom edges of the painting. I'd forgotten how lovely gouache is to use ....


Comments

Deb said…
Beautiful Theresa!
Laura Moore said…
You have definitely captured the mystery and atmosphere of a misty morning. Fabulous colour choices. Beautiful.
Theresa Evans said…
Thanks Deb :)

Thanks Laura ... it was a bit of a 'what if' with the cobalt blue tree but you never know if you don't take risks do you?
Jane said…
Lovely, misterious and magical, beautiful work !
Theresa Evans said…
Thanks so much, Jane :)
JANE MINTER said…
very calm ... love the blue of the tree theresa
Claire said…
Inspiring xxx
Maggie Latham said…
Super work, Theresa........
Theresa Evans said…
Thankyou Maggie! Happy 2014!
October Mists - For those cool souls who live in a world of blues and greens ... these little dashes of yellow should ignite their imaginations. Kudos. I have bookmarked your site.