Autumn Sun and The Call of Moorhens.

Autumn Sun and The Call of Moorhens. Mixed Media

This is from my memory of a walk last year when the call of moorhens filled the crisp autumn air.

What I really love about walking in nature is that you often get up close and personal with wildlife. Birds can be glimpsed through tangled branches and watched undisturbed. Little 'windows' beckon you to peer into and through to a secret world beyond the paths and tracks. I have many photos and sketches of tangled hedgerows and woodland ... they have become almost an obsession with me!

This last couple of weeks, I have been experimenting with my acrylic inks (and making many messes ;) to try and recreate the delicate mesh of overlapping branches. I've also used oil pastel which gives a lovely resist to the inks and a nice broken texture.




Comments

JANE MINTER said…
the pattern of the tangled branches act a "veil" "screen" ...inviting you to discover the beautiful view beyond ... i like the boldness of this and bluebell morning theresa ...have a good w-e
Theresa Evans said…
Thanks Jane. We are having a heat wave in the UK so should be good for getting out into the Peak :) Enjoy your weekend too!
Jean Lurssen said…
I love this. I am also experimenting with acrylic inks. Just getting to the stage of having fun with them. Love how you created the tangle of branches through which one can see the distant landscape.
Theresa Evans said…
Thanks Jean. They're great to use aren't they? I like that they have the fluidity of watercolour but with stronger colour and vibrance. Have you tried drawing with a loaded pipette?
Jean Lurssen said…
Yes, that is what I use when drawing my branches. And then I spray it lightly and it give a lovely effect of tangled branches
Theresa Evans said…
Your branch and tree studies are gorgeous, Jean :)