Spring Meadow and Little Paintings!

Spring Meadow ~ Watercolour (5" x 7")
Recently, I've become hooked on painting small watercolours in a loose, sketchy style. It all started after Christmas when I decided to go back to using sketchbooks and art journals to experiment and think 'on the page'. I'd forgotten the pure freedom of working like this!

Sometimes, having many ideas for future paintings (which I tend to accumulate in my head and scribble in the back of notebooks!) can be overwhelming and make it difficult to get started at all. But a sketchbook gives pages and pages of forgiving space to play with ideas, experiment, write, collage and not judge myself during the process. Fun!

My little paintings have emerged from this process and I thought I would start to share some on my blog. I love that they don't take days and days and don't gobble my art materials. And I can explore my ideas and develop the little sketchbook sketches and scribbled notes much more quickly. It's really rewarding to get that continous feedback from the process of painting too.


Hope you all have some lovely Spring weather to enjoy!

Comments

Laura Moore said…
Theresa this is so gorgeous. Your greens are beautiful and fresh. I love my sketch pads and painting small too.
Anamaria do Val said…
Wonderful work, Theresa!So full of life and spontaneity!Congrats!
Theresa Evans said…
Hi Laura .. thanks :) Yes, I used sketchbooks and journals all the time at college and still have a big pile of them. They're really interesting to look back through. I can't even remember now why I got out of the habit but I'm glad I'm hooked again!
Theresa Evans said…
Thanks Anamaria :)
Jane said…
Beautiful painting with a lovely mood to it, serene and happy.
Theresa Evans said…
Hi Jane. Thankyou very much - and thanks too for visiting my blog :) I hope you'll come again!
JANE MINTER said…
beautiful ....good for you theresa ..look forward to seeing more from you sketchbooks.
Deb said…
Beautiful Theresa! LIttle paintings are fun. My state flower series are all done on 7x10 watercolor block.
Theresa Evans said…
Hi Jane, thankyou :) At the moment I'm keeping my sketchbooks as my personal playgound. I've found that I need (and am enjoying) somewhere where mistakes and private meanderings don't matter! ;) But these little paintings are starting to spontaneously emerge from those thoughts and sketches.
Theresa Evans said…
Hi Deb. Yes they're definitely fun! Your state flower series is lovely :)