Pompeii Doorway


 Pompeii Doorway. Acrylic and Oil Pastel. Copyright Theresa Evans

Well, I've been away from my studio unexpectedly this last week or so. Family health issues come first. In the meantime, I thought I'd post this painting I did a few years ago. I was vividly reminded of my visit to Pompeii after watching the BBC programm "Pompeii: Life and Death in a Roman Town" the other day. Did anyone watch it? It was so interesting. 


Here's a link to i-player:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wqfcx

It's fascinating how archaeology and modern day forensics continue to lift the lid on this ancient civilisation. Professor Mary Beard dispelled myths about how they lived and loved, the truth about their obsession with sex and how they conducted their society. She went down into ancient sewers where forensic archaelogists have been able to to discover that the people of Pompeii enjoyed a varied diet that included both local produce and imports!

I remember when I happened on this old doorway, in my painting above. It seemed such a privelege to be able to peer into what was someone's home nearly two thousand years ago. The table still standing, flowering weeds and cacti providing some sensitive decor. 

We had our sandwiches whilst sitting outside on the pavement. The grooves made by carts, which must have taken the same track day after day, were clearly visible in the stone road. Shops with their open fronts, so similar to ones still found in Naples today and people's homes lined the street. As we sat enjoying the Italian sunshine, it was perfectly easy to imagine Pompeiian children playing and the sounds of their laughter.

I will visit again some day. And hopefully, I'll get back to my studio soon. 

Happy Christmas to everyone :)

Comments

jyothisethu said…
interesting to read...
the picture is beautiful...
Theresa Evans said…
Pleased you enjoyed it. Thankyou :)
Sheila Vaughan said…
This is a lovely painting. Isn't it the one I have seen framed and hanging in your house? If so, I don't blame you for keeping it. I think doorways give tantilising views of what might be. I missed the Pompeii programme and unfortunately the iPlayer version does not have subtitles (some of the programmes don't) so I can't watch it but it sounds really interesting.
Theresa Evans said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Theresa Evans said…
Wooops. spelling errors!

Yes, it is that one Sheila. There are some paintings which both hold precious memories and which 'turn out' quite well and, in the end, you just need to keep them, don't you?

Sorry about the programme Sheila. I think it might be repreated though.
Caroline said…
I am instantly transported to a beautiful warm place full of light and shadows. Great atmosphere and the perspective is good too. Lovely painting a good one to share at this time of year when we seek the sunlight.
Theresa Evans said…
Thanks Caroline - happy to transport you to the sunshine!