August Evening, Tuscany

 August Evening, Tuscany. Gouache on Fabriano Paper. 20cm x 50cm. Copyright Theresa Evans

It's a while since I last used my gouache paints but they are so liberating! Really, if you haven't tried them - do. I've noticed they seem to be growing in popularity recently too, probably because some of the new pigment ranges are really quite lastfast. 

I treated myself to several tubes of Schmincke Horodam gouache to add to my collection of Winsor & Newton. They are so smooth and velevety with lucious colours plus little tonal shift when dry .... I think I'll be replacing all my tubes with Schmincke as they run out!

Anyway, I thought I'd try to create more textural effects in the landscape than I can achieve with transparent watercolour. I do really like the way colours can be scumbled over underlying washes to create a velvety texture and because of the opacity of the paint, it's possible to add quite a few layers of texture and correct mistakes. Always a plus!

close-up of layers of paint

Comments

Ester Roi said…
No matter what medium you use, your work is always stunning.
Theresa Evans said…
Thankyou Ester, that's very generous!

I'm pleased you enjoy it :)
Irina said…
I feel like a bird when look at this landscape. Great close-up details in gouache, great!
I'm so glad you dropped by my blog so I could meet you and see your work, Theresa! What lovely paintings, all.
I'm so glad you dropped by my blog so I could meet you and see your work, Theresa! What lovely paintings, all.
Theresa Evans said…
Irina and Diana, thanks for dropping by and your nice comments. Much appreciated :)
jyothisethu said…
beautiful gouache works...
really love the effect which you have achieved...
congratulations...
Theresa Evans said…
Jyothisethu, thankyou for visiting. Pleased you enjoyed my work :)
Yves said…
Très beau paysage
Theresa Evans said…
Merci Yves... j'aime beaucoup La Toscane!! ... mais cette année je vais visiter Provence et je suis impatient de faire des peintures des champs de lavande belle :)